National plans/strategies for Bulgaria
- Fifth National Communication on Climate Change under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Bulgarian topics
- Agriculture: Alexandrov (1999). Vulnerability and adaptation of agronomic systems in Bulgaria. Download.
- Fresh water resources: Alexandrov and Genev (2003). Climate variability and change impact on water resources in Bulgaria. Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
- Swart et al. (2009). Europe adapts to climate change. Comparing national adaptation strategies. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Cultural-historical heritage: Cassar (2005). Climate change and the historic environment. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: O’Brien et al. (2008). Disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and human security. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
- An overview of additional databases
Weblogs in English
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Emergency preparedness and response: what to do in case of extreme heat
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- Drought Management Centre for Southeastern Europe
- WWF Adaptation stories, lessons, and explorations: ClimatePrep
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Local governments for sustainability, including climate resilience and climate change adaptation: ICLEI
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River ICPDR
EU funded Research Projects
Climate change scenarios
- ENSEMBLES (2004-2009, 6th FP): Ensemble prediction system for climate change based on the principal state-of-the-art, high resolution, global and regional Earth System models developed in Europe
- STARDEX (5th FP): Statistical and regional dynamical downscaling of extremes for european regions
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- MICORE (7th FP): Online tools for reliable predictions of the morphological impact of marine storm events in support of civil protection mitigation strategies
Droughts and water scarcity
- MIRAGE (7th FP): Mediterranean intermittent river management
- CLIMB (7th FP): Climate induced changes on the hydrology of mediterranean basins
- AquaStress (6th FP): Mitigation of water stress through new approaches to integrating management, technical, economic and institutional instruments
- Flow-Aid (6th FP): Farm level optimal water management: assistant for irrigation under deficit
- CC-WaterS (INTERREG): Climate change and impacts on water supply
- DMCSEE (INTERREG): Drought Management Centre for South East Europe
- IMPRINTS (7th FP): Improving preparedness and risk management for flash floods and debris flow events
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
- DANUBE FLOODRISK (INTERREG): Stakeholder oriented flood risk assessment for the Danube floodplains
Fresh water resources
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WASSERMED (7th FP): Water availability and security in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- SCENES (6th FP): Water scenarios for Europe and for neighbouring states, up to 2025
- CIRCE (6th FP): Climate change and impact research: the Mediterranean environment
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CECILIA (6th FP): Central and Eastern Europe climate change impact and vulnerability assessment
- NeWater (6th FP): New approaches to adaptive water management under uncertainty
- F:ACTS ! (INTERREG): Adapting to climate change through territorial strategies