National plans/strategies for Italy
- Fifth National Communication under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on important Italian topics
- Agriculture, forest fires: Giannakopoulos et al. (2009). Climatic changes and associated impacts in the Mediterranean resulting from a 2°C global warming. Download.
- Climate Change: observations, projections and impacts. Downloads.
- Coastal flood risk (Venice): Ravera (2000).The Lagoon of Venice: the result of both natural factors and human influence. Download.
- Desertification, agriculture, landslides a.o.: Carraro and Sgobbi (2008). Climate change impacts and adaptation strategies in Italy. An economic assessment. Download.
- Fresh water resources: Collins (2009). Water scarcity and drought in the Mediterranean. Download.
- River flood risk: Mambretti et al. (2008). Flood-risk assessment and hazard mitigation measures: case studies and lessons learnt in Italy. Download.
Reports/papers that present a sound overview for Europe
- Eisenreich (2005). Climate change and the European water dimension. A report to the European water directors.
- European Environment Agency (2005). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Europe. Download.
- European Environment Agency, JRC and WHO (2008). Impact of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. Download.
- Swart et al. (2009). Europe adapts to climate change. Comparing national adaptation strategies. Download.
Reports/papers that focus on specific topics, relevant for all of Europe
- Agriculture: Rounsevell et al. (2005). Future scenarios of European agricultural land use II. Projecting changes in cropland and grassland. Download.
- Agriculture: Fischer et al. (2005). Socio-economic and climate change impacts on agriculture: an integrated assessment, 1990–2080. Download.
- Biodiversity: Thuiller et al. (2005). Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Download.
- Coastal erosion: Salman et al. (2004). Living with coastal erosion in Europe: sediment and space for sustainability. Download.
- Cultural-historical heritage: Cassar (2005). Climate change and the historic environment. Download.
- Droughts: Blenkinsop and Fowler (2007). Changes in European drought characteristics projected by the PRUDENCE regional climate models. Download.
- Droughts: European Environment Agency (2009). Water resources across Europe – confronting water scarcity and drought. Download.
- Forestry: Seppälä et al. (2009). Adaptation of forests and people to climate change. A global assessment report. Download.
- Health: Kosatsky (2005). The 2003 European heat waves. Download.
- Health: WHO (2008). Protecting health in Europe from climate change. Download.
- Insurance and Business: Mills et al. (2005). Availability and affordability of insurance under climate change. A growing challenge for the U.S. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: O’Brien et al. (2008). Disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and human security. Download.
- Security and Crisis management: German Advisory Council on Global Change (2007). World in transition: Climate change as a security risk. Summary for policy-makers. Download.
- Storms: Gardiner et al. (2010). Destructive storms in European forests: Past and forthcoming impacts. Download.
- Storms: Pinto et al. (2007). Changing European storm loss potentials under modified climate conditions according to ensemble simulations of the ECHAM5/MPI-OM1 GCM. Download.
- Tourism: Deutsche Bank Research (2008). Climate change and tourism: Where will the journey lead? Download.
National adaptation strategies
Database on disasters worldwide
- The international disaster database EM-DAT
- Information on disaster risk reduction: preventionweb.net
- Global Risk Data Platform PREVIEW: preview.grid.unep.ch
- Dartmouth Flood Observatory
- An overview of additional databases
Database on Italian disasters
Weblogs in English
- What if we wouldn't have coastal flood defences? From globalfloodmap.org
- Glacier changes in Central Europe: facts and figures
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- The Red Cross / Red Crescent Climate Centre: bridging climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Emergency preparedness and response: what to do in case of extreme heat
- Internet encyclopaedia for coastal professionals providing coastal and marine information: coastal wiki
- The website of the European Environment Agency
- Expertise centre for biodiversity and sustainable development
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC
- The United Nation's work on climate change
- Climate change and its impact on tourism in the Alpine Space: ClimAlpTour
- WWF Adaptation stories, lessons, and explorations: ClimatePrep
- World Bank Climate Change Knowledge Portal
- Local governments for sustainability, including climate resilience and climate change adaptation: ICLEI
- PIANC organisation for the global waterborne transport community: climate change home page
Weblogs in English and Italian
Weblogs in Italian
EU funded Research Projects
- ANIMALCHANGE (7th FP): An integration of mitigation and adaptation options for sustainable livestock production under climate change
- AQUARIUS (INTERREG): The farmer as water manager under changing climatic conditions
- EU.WATER (INTERREG): Transnational integrated management of water resources in agriculture for the EUropean WATER emergency control
- RECLAIM WATER (6th FP): Water reclamation technologies for safe artificial groundwater recharge
- SHARP (INTERREG): Sustainable hydro assessment and groundwater recharge projects
Avalanches and landslides
- AdaptAlp (cofinanced by the EU): Natural hazard management and climate change adaptation in the Alps
- CLAMER (7th FP): Awareness raising of European citizens and society to the effects of climate change on the marine environment and its socio-economic consequences
Climate change scenarios
- ENSEMBLES (2004-2009, 6th FP): Ensemble prediction system for climate change based on the principal state-of-the-art, high resolution, global and regional Earth System models developed in Europe
- STARDEX (5th FP): Statistical and regional dynamical downscaling of extremes for european regions
Climate change impacts and vulnerabilities
- COASTANCE: Regional action strategies for coastal zone adaptation to climate change
- THESEUS (7th FP): Innovative coastal technologies for safer European coasts in a changing climate
- CLIWAT (INTERREG): Adaptive and Sustainable Water Management and Protection of Society and Nature in an Extreme Climate
- BLAST (INTERREG): Bringing land and sea together
- DiPol (INTERREG): Impact of climate change on the quality of urban and coastal waters
- IMCORE (INTERREG): Innovative management for Europe’s changing coastal resource
- SUSCOD (INTERREG): Sustainable coastal development in practice
- TIDE (INTERREG): Tidal river development (estuaries)
- DELTANET (INTERREG): Network of European delta regions - sustainable delta governance
- MICORE (7th FP): Online tools for reliable predictions of the morphological impact of marine storm events in support of civil protection mitigation strategies
- Climate for culture (7th FP): Damage risk assessment, economic impact and mitigation strategies for sustainable preservation of cultural heritage in times of climate change
Droughts and water scarcity
- MIRAGE (7th FP): Mediterranean intermittent river management
- CLIMB (7th FP): Climate induced changes on the hydrology of mediterranean basins
- AquaStress (6th FP): Mitigation of water stress through new approaches to integrating management, technical, economic and institutional instruments
- Flow-Aid (6th FP): Farm level optimal water management: assistant for irrigation under deficit
- CC-WaterS (INTERREG): Climate change and impacts on water supply
- DMCSEE (INTERREG): Drought Management Centre for South East Europe
- IMPRINTS (7th FP): Improving preparedness and risk management for flash floods and debris flow events
- FLOODsite (6th FP): Integrated flood risk analysis and management methodologies
- ALFA (INTERREG): Adaptive land use for flood alleviation
- FLOOD-WISE (INTERREG): Sustainable flood management strategies for cross border river basins
- DANUBE FLOODRISK (INTERREG): Stakeholder oriented flood risk assessment for the Danube floodplains
- FUME (7th FP): Forest fires under climate, social and economic changes in Europe, the Mediterranean and other fire-affected areas of the world
- NOVELTREE (7th FP): Genetic improvement of the composition and characteristics of forest products to satisfy the needs (quality, quantity, sustainability, vulnerability) of consumers and the forest-based sector
- ForeStClim (INTERREG): forest & climate change
Fresh water resources
- ACQWA (7th FP): Assessing climate impacts on the quantity and quality of water
- REFRESH (7th FP): Adaptive strategies to mitigate the impacts of climate change on European freshwater ecosystems
- WASSERMED (7th FP): Water availability and security in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean
- WATCH (2007-2011, 6th FP): Water and global change
- SCENES (6th FP): Water scenarios for Europe and for neighbouring states, up to 2025
- CIRCE (6th FP): Climate change and impact research: the Mediterranean environment
- AMICE (INTERREG): A coordinated strategy for the adaptation of the Meuse to the impacts of climate evolutions on floods and low-flows with the perspective of sustainable development in the Meuse international catchment basin
- ScaldWIN (INTERREG): Scheldt transnational water management aimed at improving and integrating innovative measures for groundwater, sediments and surface water in the international Scheldt River basin district
- SAWA (INTERREG): Strategic alliance for integrated water management actions (incl. climate change)
- SIGMA for Water (INTERREG): Restored and developed new lakes and wetlands for climate change adaptation and improvement of environmental quality of the involved regions
- ALPWATERSCARCE (INTERREG): Early warning systems against water scarcity in the Alps
- WEATHER (7th FP): The impacts of extreme weather events on economy and society in total and on European transport systems in particular
Insurance and Business
- CONHAZ (7th FP): Cost assessments of damages of natural hazards for policy development in the fields of natural hazard management and adaptation planning to climate change
Mitigation / adaptation integrated policy
- AMICA: Adaptation and Mitigation: an Integrated Climate Policy Approach at the local and regional level (INTERREG)
Mitigation / adaptation options and costs
- ClimateCost (7th FP): the full costs of climate change
- ClimateWater (7th FP): study European and international adaptation measures and strategies related to climate change impacts and how these are taken into account in water policies
- PESETA (2007, JRC): Projection of economic impacts of climate change in sectors of the European Union based on bottom-up analysis
- CECILIA (6th FP): Central and Eastern Europe climate change impact and vulnerability assessment
- NeWater (6th FP): New approaches to adaptive water management under uncertainty
- CPA: Climate Proof Areas (INTERREG): regional adaptation strategies
- F:ACTS ! (INTERREG): Adapting to climate change through territorial strategies
Security and Crisis management
- PREPARED (7th FP): Early warning systems, short- and long-term response strategies for urban areas pertaining to climate change adaptation
- CORFU (7th FP): Collaborative research on flood resilience in urban areas
- SWITCH (6th FP): sustainable urban water management in the ‘City of the Future’
- MARE (INTERREG): Managing Adaptive Responses to changing flood risk in the North Sea Region
- FloodResilienCity (INTERREG): Improved integration of increased urban development and flood risks in major cities
- Future Cities (INTERREG): Urban Networks to Face Climate Change
- C-Change (INTERREG): Changes in attitudes and practical responses to the challenges of climate change in city regions
- MiSRaR (INTERREG): Mitigating Spatial Relevant Risks in European Regions and Towns